Wedding season is escalating in case you hadn’t noticed. Did you know there is a hierarchy of brides, and the June bride stands at the top of the stairway of wedding bliss?
It takes an overachiever to assemble the moving parts that create a fairy tale wedding this early in the season. I don’t want to discourage any June bride wannabe’s but my daughter-in-law, whose marriage license boasts a June date, had her PhD before she was thirty.
Why is June the optimal month for weddings?
I did some research and here are a few theories:
- It is the beginning of summer so weather is nice, but not too hot.
- There is a wider array of reasonably priced flowers available
- A summer pregnancy in an agricultural culture meant a woman could still help with fall harvest, and after a spring birth she’d be back in the field for next year’s crop.
Once a year bathing:
- When the annual bath was the rule of the day, it was scheduled in May or June. Since the couple smelled their best, it was only logical they would choose this month for the wedding.
Favor from the gods:
- Juno was the ancient Roman goddess of marriage, so many Romans chose this month for their weddings to ensure favor and prosperity.
Shallow husband and I were married in August. It was early in the month so we weren’t quite at the bottom of the wedding bell curve, but we were on the slippery slope of the decline.
We can pretend the couple works together to accomplish this marital feat of strength, but they don’t name it ‘Brides’ magazine by accident. Here is a short list of what the bride coordinates once her beloved slips a custom diamond on her French manicured ring finger.
The groom helps choose which of the four June weekends he will march down the aisle in his rented tux. He considers this carefully, and the decision revolves around one critical issue: timing of fiancé’s menstrual cycle. Luckily he has been keeping track of this on his phone app, because who wants to honeymoon with a pre-menstrual syndrome monster?
- Nature fact: Stress can upset the most regular of menstrual cycles.
- Social fact: Weddings are stressful.
- Marriage fact: After surviving the stressful wedding, the honeymoon is going to suck.
But don’t worry, because it is going to be a spectacular wedding.
When was your wedding? Did you achieve the pinnacle of wedding success and get married in June? What other months do you think are great wedding months and why?